Re: [ontolog-forum] Please thread the discussion

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:56:04 -0600

>>> Surely as software professionals we can agree that standards are
>>> generally a good thing and that this standard is no exception to
>>> that rule. Shouldn't we thus conclude that using non-conformant
>>> software is to be strongly discouraged?
>>
>> Sounds right to me.  Is there a list of conformant/nonconformant
>> clients somewhere, or a simple way to tell one from the other?  I
>> mostly use mutt, which I would bet big money is comformant, and OS
>> X's Mail.app, which I'd *suspect* is conformant, but I just don't
>> know.
>
> Well, I've been avoiding name-dropping, but Outlook and Outlook
> Express
> are the culprits here.    (01)

Well, I for one am *shocked*, *shocked*, I say!.  Microsoft not
following international standards?  Unbelievable.  Scandalous. :-)    (02)

> Their transgressions go beyond threading, however, but I won't get
> into that, 'cause it probably constitutes matters of taste.    (03)

Yes, good vs bad.  >8^)  (Sorry, unrepentant Unix/Linux/Mac fan boy
here!)    (04)

> I don't know for a fact, but I'm sure Mutt is conformant. It's
> actually not that hard to do, but for some reason Microsoft has
> remained intransigent with Outlook / Outlook Express.    (05)

I've poked around a bit and it appears Mail.app is indeed conformant
as well, and has been for at least several years.    (06)

> I've only used KMail for the past several years, and it's compliant.
>
>>> Definitely a pet peeve of mine...
>>
>> No kidding? :-)
>
> Can you tell?    (07)

Nah, just a wild guess.    (08)