Re: [ontolog-forum] Please thread the discussion

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:03:20 -0800
On Tuesday 06 November 2007 09:28, Peter Yim wrote:
> For those who weren't around the last time we cover this (and
> related) issues, you might want to check out the following:
>
> * an earlier thread at:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-03/msg00378.html ,
> and
>
> * how one can configure your mail client to put [ontolog-forum]
> traffic away (from your inbox), which would then allow you to 'reply'
> to the threads when you want to - see:
>
> Cheers.  =ppy
> --    (01)

How many people see Peter's reply in the same thread as the message to
which he replied (which was my reply to his first message)?    (02)

I do not. This is because he's using one of the non-compliant mail
clients (GMail, apparently).    (03)

Using a separate mailbox does not make threads work, nor does refraining
from using a mailbox prevent threading from working    (04)

If the software that formulates the message's headers doesn't respect
the standard and include proper Message-Id and In-Reply-To headers,
something as simple as changing the subject (as Peter did in his latest
reply) will break threading (fallback threading basedon the Subject
header, i.e.). If, on the other hand, the mail software _does_ support
the standard, changing the Subject will _not_ break threading.    (05)

Surely as software professionals we can agree that standards are
generally a good thing and that this standard is no exception to that
rule. Shouldn't we thus conclude that using non-conformant software is
to be strongly discouraged?    (06)

Definitely a pet peeve of mine...    (07)

Randall Schulz    (08)