Re: [ontolog-forum] glossary of ontology terminology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:14:28 +0700
Bill
I appreciate your concern, and look forward to the debate.

It looks to me that with the summit we have agreed with some conclusions, and made some decisions at least some people have and others have not disagreed.

 What I need (NOW) is to know what people mean with the words they use. I would like to have this collected on a page that can be used as a working reference by more than one person.

(I wrote to the applied ontology editor at cyc, he writes a 4 pages article on 'applied ontology' without producing a working definition that I can quote in one sentence, unless I am missing something - waiting for reply)

This would not mean that anyone of us would dictate to others how to use their words, rather share with others what they mean, for the purpose of common understanding, and where possible, consensus building.

Am I right that communication will be otherwise impossible in the long term?
would I be right in thinking that a controlled vocabulary is what we need to aim for,
and in fact, possibly an encyclopedia of some sort?

Of course I can start compile one on my own website, and invite anyone who wants to contribute to take a stab, but I think it would be preferable to have
this as a community building exercise.

Lets think of it,  what would be best and most useful

Cheers