Re: [ontolog-forum] glossary of ontology terminology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:24:55 +0200
Does this mean we will finally have a debate on this list about what we
mean by mean?    (01)

I really don't have a good feeling about this: we have upwards of a
hundred posts on the most simple of concepts and still come out of those
exchanges little the wiser.    (02)

Sorry for sounding cynical, particularly after the high of the F2F
Ontology Summit, but this discussion list "channel" is becoming
extremely difficult to follow.    (03)

If people want to create a dictionary, with different definitions, etc -
fine, but could it take place on a clean list with clear objectives,
processes if necessary, tasks and work plan?    (04)

While I'm at it, could I also make a plea for some clearer rules (or
separate lists) for those who want to philosophize, those who want to
build reasoning systems, those who want to know what's going on and
who's doing what, etc?    (05)

The list has become a scattergun victim of its own success but - to
overuse the metaphor - I don't want to get caught in the crossfire over
in-depth exchanges that are "off topic" for me and be faced with only
rudimentary tools to filter the flow. Filtering by name or subject is
meaningless on this forum, and posters rarely maintain any discipline
over use of the subject line:     (06)