Re: [ontolog-forum] glossary of ontology terminology

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:15:55 -0500
>Peoples,
>
>I am looking for a credible glossary of
>ontological terms, and I dont find anything
>easily accessible, comprehensive and uptodate
>that I can trust
>
>I am aware there is a copyright issue - but we should try to go past that?
>
>Wikipedia is still flakey,  and  this looks
>better carried out on the web as a  collective
>task.  It looks like we have a good collection
>of definitions for 'ontology' on the summit
>wikipage, which shows  that we can produce
>things  I wonder if we should start working
>towards creating definitions (ta community of
>practice starts with common terminology)
>
>(we dont have to agree on everything, we could always have d1. d2 etc)
>

>The problem I have today is to define 'applied
>ontology'  and  'formal ontology' and wonder if
>there is any further distinction    (01)

Why do you think this is a distinction? Most
ontologies created so far are formal and many of
them are applied.    (02)

>I have found some papers discussing in generally
>more than a page what a formal ontology is, but
>I am not satisfied
>I find a useful reference on Jsowa glossary for
>formal ontology, but it does not seem to be
>contrasting other types of ontology
>formal as opposed to terminological? or formal vs applied?    (03)

No, as opposed to informal.    (04)

>what is applied ontology exactly? (wikipedia entry is contradictory)    (05)

? In what way exactly?    (06)

>shall we start something? has someone compiled
>something that they want/can  share and open up
>for collective editing? (I would be surprised
>otherwisee)
>thanks    (07)

May I first ask some meta-questions.    (08)

1. Why do you think there are useful definitions
for terminology like "applied ontology"? Why
would you expect to find anything more sensible
than "an ontology which has been applied to a
task"? This meaning can be extracted from the
phrase by an English speaker without even knowing
what an ontology is.    (09)

2. What is the point of making such a glossary?    (010)

Pat    (011)

>PDM
>

>--
>

>Paola Di Maio *****
>School of Information Technology
>Mae Fah Luang University
>Chiang Rai - Thailand

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (013)