Re: [ontolog-forum] the case for an open research group

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Carl Reed OGC Account" <creed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:55:17 -0700
Deborah -

Really interesting. Some more information. The OGC and NIBS/IAI have a memorandum of understanding. We (and our respective memberships) have been collaborating on a variety of issues related to BIM and IFC interoperability between the Building, CAD, and Geo domains. Considerable progress has been made at this more fundamental level. The current state of the work was demonstrated last month as part of the OGC Web Services 4 Interoperability initiative. I have attached a couple of slides that capture how IFC based content can be utilized and integrated with other geo content sources for use in decision support, in this case for emergency services. At this point, the work is more focused on getting the technical interoperability foundation solid with basic semantics being a component of this work.

The above efforts do not explicitly address making recommendations on ontologies that span and connect disciplines, but they are all steps in that direction and various dialogues have been happening regarding semantics and ontologies for creating a truly virtual as-built or to be built world.

Regards

Carl