Re: [ontolog-forum] the case for an open research group

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John A. Bateman" <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:54:28 +0100
Hi Deborah,    (01)

> Any recommendations on ontologies made to span across and connect
> disciplines using each areas own sets of standards?    (02)

I think this overlaps a lot with other issues of ontological
mediation and should definitely form an important strand of
the discussions leading up to the Ontolog Summit. Mediating
ontologies was a topic last year and I don't think that it
has all been solved in the meantime! :-)    (03)

We are developing logic-based ontology mediation in Bremen:
there is a long long haul before we will be ready to go
into anything like industrial scale application though.    (04)

We have a paper coming out in Spatial Cognition and
Computation that describes our approach with simple
(some might say simplistic) examples, which I can send
to anyone who is interested.    (05)

John B.    (06)