Re: [ontolog-forum] the case for an open research group

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joshua Lieberman <jlieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:21:02 -0500
The answer to that has to be "yes". There are design implications as well as permitting / construction and (particularly) building lifecycle implications. Perhaps the fundamental driver for an effective juxtaposition of computer-aided design, building information models, and GIS is the ability to represent digitally and interoperably a much higher proportion of all the different activities around infrastructure development. There may never be a substitute for an architect talking through a set of drawings, but too often there is little connection between that knowledge and all of the other information involved from siting and planning through to eventual demolition and redevelopment.

OWS-4 concentrated within this spectrum on timely exchange of information about reuse of existing structures in an emergency response. The semantic mediation in this case was implicit and (to some extent) ad hoc, but clearly will be an important issue going forward in formalizing the connections which were made during the testbed.

Cheers,

Josh Lieberman
OGC architect

Principal, Traverse Technologies Inc.