Re: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:41:00 -0800
Adam,    (01)

Thank you for coming up with a suggestion for the agendas.    (02)

1. May I also draw your attention to the purpose and goals of the
Upper Ontology Summit that we have had going, and hope that we
can, at the least, ALL come to terms with those -- it's a bit
late to churn over that now.    (03)

See: (a) The first statement under our "Upper Ontology Summit"
Project Mission -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit#nidJCB    (04)

(b) what we stated we were going to do among uos-conveners (a
while back) which most, if not all, have been participating in
all along - two messages that essentially scoped our work here -
see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/2006-02/msg00009.html
&
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/2006-02/msg00027.html
(in particular, the descriptions (which mapped out the purpose)
of each of the three meetings. ... Let's stick with those.    (05)

2. While I agree we will be making progress by cross examining
some of the interim decisions, we have to admit that some
objections are appropriate now, and others should have been
brought up much earlier (if conveners had objections to them.)
For one, I don't think re-defining 'custodians' is appropriate now.    (06)

3. Only the 3/15 morning - UO Application Dialog - where we were
supposed to do: "In addition to the panelists,
organizers, and key participants, early adopters, potential users
and potential funders of ontology development will be invited to
discuss mutual concerns." is cast as a "draft agenda" at this
point ... I think we should work on that together, rather than
re-defining the flow of the entire event.    (07)

4. In view of the urgency of the matter, I would also suggest
some synchronous conference call time today, with all
uos-conveners, if possible, so that we can quickly converge on
something that does not compromise our purpose of the UOS, and is
generally acceptable to the uos-conveners. I'll propose a couple
options, if I don't get serious objections to this.    (08)

The bottom line is ... we want this help advance Formal Upper
Ontology (technically, marketing-wise, adoption, ... etc.) AND
for the entire community (not any individual in particular) as a
whole. I totally trust that everyone is doing what they are doing
with that in mind and with total good intentions. We only need to
align the method in bringing that about ... and I believe that's
doable.    (09)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (010)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (011)