Re: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:39:26 +0100
Dear all,    (01)

        I digested the latest messages with some difficulty, since
unfortunately I have been absorbed by other things in the latest
days. Let me quickly express what my position is:    (02)

1. I support Bill Andersen open letter very much. I must add I am
VERY shocked by the fact that this kind of agenda has been disclosed
only now.    (03)

2. I also support Adam's request for giving the UO "custodians" more
time. His revised agenda is kind of OK to me, BUT I believe that more
time should be given to presenting and discussing the techniques and
the methodologies for establishing comparisons and links between the
various UO. Related to this, in addition to briefly presenting
DOLCE's main points (if we decide so) I would be happy to report on
the *methodology* we have adopted, in the WonderWeb project, to
compare DOLCE with other ontologies, and on a proposal we have for
characterizing "Ontology design rationale", to be further exploited
in a large European project that's starting right now, NEON (standing
for Networked Ontologies, leaded by Enrico Motta).    (04)

I must close this message abruptly, more later...    (05)

Nicola    (06)

-----
Nicola Guarino
Co-Editor in Chief, Applied Ontology (IOS Press)
Head, Laboratory for Applied Ontology (LOA), ISTC-CNR
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technologies
National Research Council
Via Solteri, 38
I-38100 Trento    (07)

phone:     +39 0461 828486