Re: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug Lenat <doug@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:54:11 -0600
Michael,    (01)

For 14 years our primary commercial contract has been
integrating multiple large (300k term) thesauri (ontologies)
for pharmaceutical companies.  About a decade ago,
we had to add a lot of machinery to Cyc to explicitly
relate its terms and Ed Hovy's Penman ontology, which
we then did (fully integrating those two.)  Part of my
remarks -- whether 10 minutes or hours long -- will be
to go into detail of what we tried to do, what ended up
working, and why I feel that one of the basic assumptions
of this group is going to be fatal if not revised. Namely,
what we need to agree on are sufficient semantics for
"ist" that each of our ontologies can in effect reflect
(a superset of) the union of these 3 (and other) upper
ontologies, not the intersection or some chosen common
subset.  Anyway, my point is that of course we would be
talking about relating ontologies.     (02)

In case you didn't
know, Cycorp doesn't sell the Cyc ontology, we give it
away, completely freely, even for commercial use.  That
touches on a second point I'll be making in my remarks,
namely that agreement on an upper ontology, the meaning
ist, etc., are just small steps toward what we really need to
agree on if we're going to want genuine question-answering
rather than merely information retrieval.    (03)

Doug    (04)

Michael Gruninger wrote:    (05)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)