RE: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:43:28 -0000
Dear Colleagues,

I think we are forgeting whose meeting this is. As I understand it the purpose of the meeting (as defined by the organizers) is to look at how the various upper ontologies can be related to each other, the possibility of "a common subset" and to see if there is agreement to do some work together on this (subject to funding), with the announcement of the results of any agreement.

What it now looks to me is happening is that there is an attempt to hijack this to a promotion of upper ontology, and CYC, SUMO and DOLCE in particular. Well I will object to that at least and as a minimum if we head in that direction expect equal air time for ISO 15926. But I am equally uncomfortable with people making these kinds of suggestions at the last minute when there has been at least a couple of months when this could have been said.

Regards

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/