Re: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:52:20 -0600
On Mar 10, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Adam Pease wrote:    (01)

> Folks,
>   Here's a revision to explicitly schedule discussion of relating
> the ontologies together.  I would stand by the division between the
> three formal upper ontologies and other ontologies (formal or
> informal, upper or domain specific, implemented in a particular
> computational language or not), but agree that others should be
> able to present, as suggested for Wednesday morning.  I've extended
> the proposed time so no one should feel slighted.
>
> Preparation meeting
> Tuesday - 8:30am
> Purposes:     (1) Introduce the three formal upper ontologies
>               (2) Propose a joint public statement
>               (3) Organize a proposal for joint funded work
>
> 8:30am                Nicola Guarino - DOLCE (with Barry and Aldo if desired)
> 9:30am                Doug Lenat - Cyc
> 10:30am       Adam Pease - SUMO    (02)

I don't understand why Barry/BFO is not here, Adam; BFO purports to
be as comprehensive as the three above, at least qua ULO, does he
not?  And he's not exactly a newcomer (though I suppose his being a
philosopher counts against him a priori :-).  I suspect Matthew West
would make the same claim for his work.  What are your reasons for
singling out these three?    (03)

-chris    (04)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (05)