Re: [uos-convene] UOS Agenda and Logistical Details

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:24:11 -0500
That said, Adam, I think we should explicitly make room in the agenda
to discuss the issue.    (01)

On Mar 10, 2006, at 11:20 , Adam Pease wrote:    (02)

> Michael,
>   I didn't include that specifically on the agenda since it's not
> something that the three upper ontology representatives have yet
> agreed has merit.  That would be part of the discussion on Tuesday
> I think.  If we were to agree on that goal, and on some methods for
> achieving it, I would think that would be hammered out on Tuesday
> and later presented as part of the joint communique.
>
> Adam
>

> At 08:08 AM 3/10/2006, Michael Gruninger wrote:
>> Hello Adam,
>>
>> part of the purpose of this meeting is to discuss possible methods to
>> relate the existing upper ontologies to each other, which no longer
>> seems to have any place in your proposed agenda.
>>
>> I am not coming to this meeting to advocate any particular ontology,
>> but I am coming to advocate a plan that will allow us to make
>> technical
>> progress towards understanding the relationships between existing
>> ontologies.
>>
>> - michael
>>
>> Adam Pease wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>   My attempt to salvage this, since we've all now blocked out
>>> time in our schedules that needs to be put to good use
>>>
>>> Preparation meeting
>>> Tuesday - 8:30am
>>> Purposes:     (1) Introduce the three formal upper ontologies
>>>         (2) Propose a joint public statement
>>>         (3) Organize a proposal for joint funded work
>>>
>>> 8:30am        Nicola Guarino - DOLCE (with Barry if desired)
>>> 9:30am        Doug Lenat - Cyc
>>> 10:30am    Adam Pease - SUMO
>>> 11:30am    discussion
>>> 12        lunch
>>> 1        work on a specific public statement - facilitated by
>>> Steve Ray
>>> 3        work on a specific white paper executive summary for
>>> proposal
>>> 5        adjourn
>>> 7pm        dinner
>>>
>>> Preparation meeting
>>> Wednesday - 8:30am
>>> Purposes:    (1) Introduce other schemas, models and taxonomies
>>> as well as
>>>             formal non-upper ontologies
>>>         (2) Discuss how these models could use a formal upper
>>> ontology
>>>
>>> 8:30        Michael Gruninger - PSL
>>> 9:00        Matthew West - ISO 11179
>>> 9:30        John Bateman - Breman ontologies
>>> 10:00        Dave McComb - GIST
>>> 10:30        discussion
>>> 12         lunch
>>>
>>> Public meeting
>>> Wednesday - 1pm
>>> Puposes:    (1) Introduce the public and press to formal upper
>>> ontology
>>>         (2) Present the joint work of the previous sessions to the
>>>             public
>>>
>>> 1pm        Adam Pease - SUMO
>>> 1:30pm        Nicola Guarino - DOLCE (with Barry Smith if desired)
>>> 2pm        Doug Lenat - Cyc
>>> 2:30pm        Presentation of the joint statement - Steve Ray
>>> 3:00pm        Panel discussion - Lenat, Pease, Guarino
>>> 4:30pm        open discussion
>>> 5pm        adjourn
>>>

>>> Adam
>>>
>>> ----------------------------