[uos-convene] What needs done here

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:03:03 -0800
All,    (01)

Since we are only less than 3 weeks to our March 15 Upper
Ontology Summit, and that we are trying to get all (most, at
least) loose ends tied, before we even land at Gaithersburg, let
me recap (from the 2006.02.16 organizing committee conference
call) what we hope/need to get done through the use of this
([uos-convene]) discussion workspace:    (02)

Discussions on [uos-convene] to start urgently - three goals:    (03)

   * (i) get a technical solution that all would agree on - Pat
to facilitate    (04)

   * (ii) get the joint communique drafted - Pat & Leo to facilitate    (05)

   * (iii) get the agenda for the three meetings laid out - chair
of each meeting will facilitate that (attn: Leo, Brand & Steve)    (06)

Ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/OrganizingCommitteeMeeting_2006_02_16#nidK6J    (07)

By the way, the three meeting are namely:    (08)

(1) Mar. 14, 2005 - 8:30~10:00am and then 1~5 pm EST    (09)

Session title: "Upper Ontology Summit Joint Communique
Preparation Meeting"    (010)

Session Chair: Dr. Leo Obrst, Ontolog co-convener, MITRE    (011)

Session Description: (tentative) A small group consisting of
upper ontology custodians, the invited key participants, and the
organizing committee gets together to work out the final
technical details of what they agreed to in light of the purpose
of the UOS, and to finalize the "Joint Communique" that all are
expected to signed at the 3/15 pm public panel session.    (012)

(2) Mar. 15, 2006 - 9 am ~ 12 noon EST    (013)

Session title: "Upper Ontology Application Dialog"    (014)

Session Chair: Dr. Brand Niemann, SICoP Chair, EPA    (015)

Session Description: (tentative) In addition to the panelists,
organizers, and key participants, early adopters, potential users
and potential funders of ontology development will be invited to
discuss mutual concerns.    (016)

(3) Mar. 15, 2006 - 1 pm ~ 5 pm EST    (017)

Session title: The "Upper Ontology Summit" Panel Session    (018)

Session Chair: Dr. Steven Ray, NIST    (019)

Session Description: There are a number of extensive upper
ontologies in existence today, including SUMO, OpenCyc Upper
Ontology, DOLCE, BFO, PSL, ISO 15926 and many others emerging
from the OWL community and application areas such as biomedical
research. At this summit workshop, following a series of
discussions carried out among the "custodians" of the leading
existing upper ontologies and key practitioners, a communique
will be delivered to the community that will articulate the
group's view of how these upper ontologies will be expected to
interoperate in the future.  It is our belief that a
consolidation of the technical community will lead to a more
thriving marketplace for semantic technologies, with associated
benefits of improved interoperability and productivity for
participating customers. Members of the public press will be
invited to join us.    (020)

Therefore, while the technical discussion is probably more fun,
we'd need to move on multiple front quickly, guys!    (021)

Cheers.  =ppy
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (022)