RE: [uos-convene] RE: Upper Ontology Summit

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Upper Ontology Summit Organizing Committee <uos-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:21:08 -0800

> Upper Ontology Summit Panelists and Key Participants:
>
>       This note provides additional detail about the coming Upper
> Ontology Summit in Gaithersburg, MD, and its rationale.  The goals and    (01)

> approach will ultimately be that decided by the eight invited
> panelists.
> The organizing
> committee have prepared some starting suggestions.
>
> The two broad goals proposed by the organizing committee are: to find
> methods to interrelate existing upper ontologies so as to permit users    (02)

> of each to reuse knowledge expressed in the others;    (03)

MU: great idea.    (04)

> and to
> increase public
> awareness of the maturity and capabilities of ontology technology for
> automating information analysis and exploitation.    (05)

MU: This troubles me. The scope is fantastically broad, and really has
little to do with upper ontologies, per se. Isn't this the goal of the
organizers of the Semantic Technology Conference serise in San Jose? Do
we really want to do this in this group?  What is our real goal?     (06)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)