Re: [uos-convene] RE: Upper Ontology Summit

To: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:30:25 -0500

> MW: Ontology is supposed to be about what exists, not the meaning of
> terms.

CM: I think you're equivocating on both "ontology" and "about" here,
Matthew.  True enough, a *given* ontology purports to be about some
chunk of the world.  But we talk about the world by using language, and
surely it is a primary function of an ontology to fix the meanings of
its component terms with sufficient rigor to faciliate the accurate
exchange of information.  In that sense big-O Ontology -- the nascent
science of constructing and using little-O ontologies -- is very much
about meaning.  In fact, I would argue that Ontology is much more about
meaning than "what exists".

There are many expressions whose meanings are of no (specifically ontological) interest to ontology, e.g.:

good, valid, rational, Abelian group, entailment, disjunction, doubtful, creamy ...

Hence the question arises, which sorts of expressions are of interest to ontology (= Greek: 'science of entities'). My suggestion would be: those which designate entities.

BS