RE: [uos-convene] RE: Upper Ontology Summit

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Menzel" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:28:23 -0500
Matthew,     (01)

I think your issue is that you are afraid of a smushing together of
term and ontology. However, I think we can keep these quite distinct,
if we consider that meaning has at least two components, sense and
denotation/reference. Then a term (as word or phrase, as opposed to
"term" in logic, i.e., more formally) has two components of meaning:
the internal notion (sense) and the external notion (reference).
Ontology is "about" denotation/reference but the terms (or combinations
of them) index ideas (or concepts; and combinations of ideas/concepts)
that refer to or are "about" those real world references/denotations. I
take a pragmatic, though principled view, and have no problem putting
unicorns in an ontology (little o), though I doubt they exist in the
actual world. So I have no problem with representing those intermediate
idea/concept notions that stand in for real or possible world objects
and calling them ontology notions. A unicorn is in fact well-defined,
has mostly all the characteristics of a horse, and as long as we
identify it as a fictional or imagined entity, what is the problem?    (02)

Leo    (03)