Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:22:34 +0100

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Matthew West wrote:

I wonder do we really need this? If we examine the situation a little closer then reasons for variability appears.
A few examples:
  Legislation forces different point of views across border and inside countries.

MW: This means of course that you really mean different things in those different circumstances, so they should not be the same.

  Product: there a quite a few work perspective that view Product differently from different point-of-view and so it is likely to be. The need for specialization of work perspectives seems to be inevitable in larger organizations.
 ... more than 10+ major reasons for large scale variability can easily be found.

MW: Yes. In my book “Developing High Quality Data Models” I identify a number of these. But that just means that these are different things, not the same.

MW: Moral, first identify what is the same/different, then apply the above.

AWT:  Im intrigued, identity is important but why is there a temporal ordering between the two? could you elaborate on the raionale?

/anders