Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:07:49 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

> On 1/31/2011 3:30 AM, Matthew West wrote:
> > "Did you know we lost an important customer last week/month/year? We
> > billed him for $100k twice, and kept on pursuing him when he had paid
> > the bill because of the second bill. That was all because he had
> > different names in different systems."
>
> That has been happening forever, and a good ontology, by itself,
> won't solve it.    (02)

MW: I'm not aware of anything that a good ontology by itself will solve.

> If you want more examples, I recommend Bill Kent's book, _Data and
> Reality_, which was written in 1978 and reissued in paperback in 2000.
> Bill presented many good examples about databases, which are just
> as appropriate for ontologies.  (There is nothing new under the sun
> -- or in the Semantic Web.)    (03)

MW: Yes it is an excellent book.

> Example:
>
> An oil company had different definitions of 'oil well' in their
> geology department and their financial department:
>
> Geology:  An oil well is a hole drilled or dug for the purpose of
> obtaining oil, whether or not it turned out to be dry.
>
> Finance:  An oil well is a pipe connected to one or more holes
> that produce oil -- no records of dry holes and the data for
> multiple holes is merged.
>
> They wanted to relate the two databases in order to correlate
> the production data with the geological data.  But the two
> definitions were incompatible.    (04)

MW: Ironically, I was at a PPDM meeting last year, and "What is a well?" is
still a hot topic some 30 years later (it is actually a genuinely difficult
question).    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)