Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:07:49 -0000
Dear Ron,    (01)

> Until there are production quality tools and a production quality
> framework that allows a developer to build applications faster and more
> reliably using ontologies, I just don't see how ontology gets out of the
> academic world.
> It is a nice way to unambiguously describe a section of the universe
> (provided you don't try to bring it here for validation:-) ) but how
> much value does it have, if I have to translate the whole thing back
> into a schema or data dictionary or set of Hibernate configuration files
> and UML models to actually build something.    (02)

MW: Seems to me that UML may be the tool you are looking for, and that you
are presuming an ontology has to exist in some particular environment to be
an ontology. I would want to challenge that assumption.

> I think that I am looking for a framework that lets me specify a lattice
> of ontologies with their interfaces and a description of the SOA in
> terms of inputs and desired flows and outputs and have the engine make
> it fly.    (03)

MW: I agree those tools do not exist and they would be useful.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2011