Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Research <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:12:27 -0600

Hi:

I know that I’m chipping in very late on this thread but I’ve been offline on vacation and only slowly catching back up.

An elevator pitch needs to catch attention and hook listeners in the first phrase. Arguments, justifications, etc come later.

I am certainly not an expert in the matter and tend myself to be too discursive but here’s a bash at some of the key points that I would like any business to hear from this community:

“Using information technology necessarily requires coding and digitising your real business world and every professional aims to do this as accurately as possible.

“Nonetheless, with poor preparation and modelling, valuable and necessary meaning can be irretrievably lost. What remains will be a reflection of the measure of control that you maintain over your world of meanings, important to you and your business.

“Ontology takes this whole process to a new level with improved chances of capturing greater detail and accuracy of your business and how it works and thus deliver greater value for your IT investment. However, as with all modelling processes, whoever controls the design of your information systems has control over how your business is ‘understood’ by those systems.

“Good ontologists working with you will have the intellectual modesty to accept that they can’t model your business for you but can offer valuable, time and cost saving methods that will help you gain more from your technology.”

Cheers,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

Transforming our Relationships with Information Technologies

Web       www.peterfbrown.com

Blog        pensivepeter.wordpress.com

Twitter   @pensivepeter

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278