Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:48:12 -0500
On 2/1/2011 7:16 PM, Yuriy Milov wrote:
> In case of a legal problems the "continuous infinity" is just a discrete
> number (it is probably a "big number" for ordinary people but maybe not too
> big for computers).    (01)

The number of laws and legal concepts is relatively small and discrete.
The complexity comes from the world.    (02)

Digital computers are discrete processors, and legal reasoning is
one of the most complex kinds of NLP -- primarily because of the open
ended nature of the subjects to which the law applies (i.e., anything
and everything in the world).  I believe that computers can help, but
they're not going to replace lawyers and judges for a long, long time.    (03)

> "Chess computer" has changed the "chess world", so why not a "law computer"
> (a "legal ontology") could change the "legal world"?    (04)

A chess board has 32 discrete pieces on 64 squares.  The number of
possible combinations is large, but finite.   That complexity
is *insignificant* compared to the complexity of a continuum.    (05)

> How does a real "human" lawyer resolve such unclear issues? The program
> could do a similar job.    (06)

That is a very good research problem.  We are nowhere near to
understanding how a 3-year-old child thinks.  In fact, we don't
even know how a mouse thinks.    (07)

> Not a big deal. Even millions or billions variations can be quickly...    (08)

Billions are trivial.  We're faced with infinity.    (09)

> What are the mystical human skills which allow human lawyers to do this job?    (010)

Nobody knows.  We still cannot simulate a mouse brain.    (011)

> We have now a unique chance to invest our efforts in this future by
> creating, say, a traffic law ontology as a case (or implement another simple
> legal code) because (I suppose this based on a common sense) the laws of
> Justice must be open for public (as the "open data") and formally
> understandable (by resoners).    (012)

That was the goal of the LILOG project, which was financed by IBM
Germany, and which involved outstanding researchers from universities
all over Germany (and with consultants from other places, such as me).    (013)

The main lesson learned is that the problem is immensely more difficult
than anyone had thought.    (014)