Re: [ontolog-forum] DBpedia as Tables *and* Extensional & Intensional

To: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:49:07 -0600
David, by all means, you go on doing whatever it is you do with JCL, and the
rest of the world can be doing semantic things with RDF and OWL. Then we can
all stop this pointless argument, OK?    (01)

Pat     (02)

On Nov 29, 2013, at 3:41 PM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (03)

> Kingsley -
>
> On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Simple test for you, provide an identifier that denotes something in JCL
>that you believe addresses your particular concerns re., RDF (the system
>behind the Semantic Web effort).
>
> My concern is that using whatever language one wishes to mention, by the time
>it gets down to working software that is depended upon my organizations, the
>semantics, the context has been largely stripped out.
>
> In that sense is JCL any different than RDF?
>
> How do the so called semantics of RDF make it any easier for a newbie to
>understand the intent of what the code is doing or supposed to do?
>

>> RDF isn't about syntax, solely. It is a framework comprised of:
>>
>> 1. model theory
>> 2. abstract syntax
>> 3. concrete syntax.
>
> I'm pretty sure most (all?) other languages can satisfy those requirements.

> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
>
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)