Re: [ontolog-forum] DBpedia as Tables *and* Extensional & Intensional

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:14:53 -0500
On 11/30/13 9:46 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> The fundamental problem of ontology is managing the complexity --
> and doing so in a way that people can understand.
>
> Steve J's greatest talent was in making simple tasks simple,
> sweeping the complexity under the rug, and keeping it there. *    (01)

As much as I admired Steve Jobs he never really understood the value in
true openness. His elegant interfaces ultimately lead to Apple
technology silos. Now, compare that to the effect of an HTTP URI as a
denotation mechanism for anything; serving as a name resolution
mechanism that's spawned:    (02)

1. Web of Linked Documents (aka. World Wide Web)
2. Web of Linked Data (aka. Linked Open Data Cloud)
3. Web of Semantically Linked Data (aka. the Semantic Web).    (03)

A single piece of architectural ingenuity has taken computing (always
driven by entity names and descriptor addresses under the covers) for a
realm eternally compromised by incompatible silos to one that naturally
enables mass collaboration and interaction.    (04)

I can inscribe the following in this mail, and most browser users
(reading this post) will be able to start making sense of the sentences
(statements) using natural follow-your-nose interaction patterns :    (05)

<> <#type> <#Document> .
<> <#topic> """DBpedia as Tables *and* Extensional & Intensional""" .
<> <#comment> """A long debate about the utility of RDF ontologies,
semantics, etc..""" .
<> <#mentions> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Steve_Jobs> .
<> <#mentions> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Unix> .
<> <#mentions> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/World_Wide_Web> .    (06)

# I can also include more specific relation semantics, which makes the
statements above even more meaningful, via the following statements:    (07)

<#topic> <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#equivalentProperty>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/topic> .
<#comment> <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#equivalentProperty>
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#comment> .
<#type> <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#equivalentProperty>
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> .    (08)

This is the whole thing in a nutshell, the ability to move the power of
basic natural language sentences in the realm of computing, something
Steve Jobs never came anywhere close to achieving, because he would
never be able to cross the hurdle of platform independence, it was his
way or nothing at all. The same also applies to Bill Gates (re., Windows).    (09)

Links:    (010)

[1] http://bit.ly/15tk1Au -- illustrating HTTP URIs as denotation
mechanism for giving names to anything.
[2] http://bit.ly/1bvs4mV -- illustrating how different Name Resolution
protocols (DNS and HTTP) based abstractions lead to different kinds of
networks (clouds).    (011)

--     (012)

Regards,    (013)

Kingsley Idehen