Re: [ontolog-forum] DBpedia as Tables *and* Extensional & Intensional

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:18:15 -0600

On Nov 29, 2013, at 8:53 AM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> John -
>
> On Nov 29, 2013, at 9:00 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>
>> Those are two uses of metalanguage -- and a metalanguage is Yet Another
>> Language (YAL).  Every YAL needs semantics.
>
> As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not intimately immersed in the details of RDF,
>OWL, etc.  Objective-C is my legacy language of the day.
>

> As far as I've been able to discern after 5+ years of wonderful MIT
>SemanticWeb meetings, the dirty little secret of the SemanticWeb is there's no
>semantics.
>
> Or—said slightly differently—the SemanticWeb has put some new, implicit spin
>on the meaning of "semantic."
>
> Or... SemWeb is no more semantic than any other software language.
>
> Sooner or later someONE (that's a carbon based life form, not silicon) will
>have to apply their eyeballs, brain & contextual experience to the fact that
>in one context YAL is John Sowa's "yet another language" and in another
>context YAL means "yttrium aluminum laser."     (02)

Thats why RDF (et al) use IRIs rather than short acronyms as identifiers. Maybe
context variation is still unavoidable, but it is far less of an in-your-face
issue when you are dealing with identifiers like     (03)

http://dbpedia.org/resource/YAL_(programming_language)
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Boeing_YAL-1    (04)

Pat    (05)

> If SemWeb is good at solving that—as far as I can see unavoidable—contextual
>issue, I've yet to see it.
>

> Could simply be I drove an 029 for too long.

> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
>
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)