Re: [ontolog-forum] What is the role of an upper level ontology?

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:24:51 -0400
Doug,    (01)

I think my earlier reply makes it pretty clear that I agree with your
typical person in the street that detachable equipment is not ordinarily
considered part of the individual entity, including clothes and ornaments.
But there are contexts in which that is not the case. The quartermaster is
certainly interested in items of equipment as AIs, but the Jumpmaster is
primarily concerned with getting the paratrooper safely out the door of the
airplane at the proper drop zone and time. The loadmaster is mainly
concerned with the total weight that will be on the airplane, not itemizing
the items being carried by the paratroopers. The unit commander's concern is
that each paratrooper is properly equipped for the mission, but not
necessarily in all the individual items carried by the paratrooper.    (02)

And yes, a boarding pass is effectively considered to be part of the
passenger from an airline gate attendant perspective. Likewise, in the
corporate environment that I am familiar with, one is effectively
inseparable from one's ID Badge, at least while roaming controlled
facilities - everyone I worked it. If surgically implanting RFID were
socially acceptable, I suspect they would have done that as well. Some
people already do that with pets and even their own children. Of course, ID
Badges and people are usually treated as separate entities in other
contexts, such as ordering a supply of new/replacement badges or terminating
an employee.    (03)

Glad we agree on the remaining paragraphs :-)    (04)

Hans    (05)