Re: [ontolog-forum] What is the role of an upper level ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:16:10 -0400
On Tue, May 21, 2013 04:06, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear Doug,    (01)

>> > Take the team/club example.
>> > It seems obvious to me that a team member is indeed a mereological
>> > part-of the team, at least if we ignore temporal extents (We might
>> > have to say, the temporal part of the member during the time interval
>> > that the team exists, is part-of the team.)    (02)

The temporal part of the member is an organizational member of the
team during some interval that is a temporal part of the temporal
intersection of the person and the team.  No current team member of
Manchester United was a member during the full temporal extent of
the team.    (03)

>> Why do you consider the team to have a spatial extent?
>>  I'd resist such a model.
>>  Does the team have a mass and a volume?    (04)

> MW: Well I sail, and I can confirm that there are occasions when the
> weight of the crew has a limit set on it for a class of boat.    (05)

Does that weight limit include the weight of alternate crew members?
If not, it is not a limit on the team, but collectively on the group of
individuals from the team who are competing.    (06)

> Interestingly you can even in some cases have
> more lighter people or fewer heavier people within the rules.
> So I would definitely go for a team having a mereological
> relationship to its members.    (07)

An organization of people is different from the group of people who are
its current members.  A time slice of such an organization is different
from a time slice of that group of people even if there is no change in
organizational membership during the time slice.    (08)

The crew of a vehicle is a temporary group of people, and as such has
a mereological relationship to its instantaneous group members.  The
members of the group may or may not be organizational members of
the same organization.  I'd hazard a guess that in competition there
is a weight limit for the boat, no matter how that weight is distributed
among crew, passengers (if allowed), beer coolers, and ballast.    (09)

Many organized sports teams have more organizational members than
may compete at a single time.    (010)

> However, there is also the question of roles,
> so in a crew, one is the helm, another the tactician, two or more are
> grinders, whilst others are trimmers. So that is another kind of
> constitution a team has. One does not exclude another.    (011)

Certainly not.    (012)

-- doug foxvog    (013)