Re: [ontolog-forum] What is the role of an upper level ontology?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 22:29:46 -0400
Matthew,    (01)

I think we've had this discussion before regarding what I called "conceptual
reality". I understand you have difficulty envisioning an organization as
not having any spatial extent, possibly because there is almost always some
physical manifestation of the organization, such as assets and members. But
members exist physically independent of the organization, and members come
and go while the organization continues (temporal extent independent of any
specific members). And physical assets also have existence independent of
the organization - they continue to exist if the organization disappears
(due to bankruptcy, for example). Such assets may be "owned" by the
organization, but they don't define the organization or its existence. In
most cases, formal organizations are defined by a piece of paper filed with
some governing body. But even that piece of paper is not the physical
manifestation of the organization - if it gets destroyed (fire, tornado,
etc.), it will be readily replaced. Fundamentally an organization is an
agreement among participants to associate with each other for some stated
purpose/duration under some governing rules (bylaws, regulations, etc.). But
the physicality of the participants doesn't define the spatial extent of the
organization except in some fairly narrow contexts/perspectives. The
agreement itself has no physicality or associated spatial extent aside from
the piece of paper that it might be written on. And some organizations exist
in virtual realities such as "Second Life" with no real world spatial
dimensions at all - unless you want to argue that they exist in physical
reality as bits encoded in some servers (and backup servers) somewhere on
the net. I guess I don't see how it is useful to know the spatial extent of
those bits in order to consider an organization as an individual.    (02)

Let's take another example - money. What are the spatial dimensions of your
financial assets, other than currency in your wallet and maybe a coin
collection at home? For all practical purposes, I submit that most of our
monetary assets have no discernible (or operative) spatial dimensions, aside
from being associated with digital bits somewhere in the environs of the
planet Earth (and that may change before too long - when cloud computing
becomes "nebula computing"). Some global disaster might prove me wrong - and
push for that nebular computing environment.    (03)

Hans    (04)