Re: [ontolog-forum] Concepts, ontologies, and natural languages

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:44:44 -0800
Yes, this is the essence of good engineering work, in my opinion, keep it simple, by hiding complexity in packages.   I merely add two examples.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/29/2012 3:40 PM, Tom Knorr wrote:
> I agree fully with John's assessment (criteria) and would actually go
> further in defining a concept as nothing but a (numbered) placeholder. It is
> meaningless without relations. In my system (NeuroCollective) a relation can
> be semantic (creating semantic networks) but all concepts allow NL relations
> which go into syntactic representations.

That's a good discipline for developing ontologies.

In logical terms, the only fundamental notions are Boolean operators,
quantifiers, and relations.  Everything else can be defined in terms
of them:  properties, attributes, concepts, types, classes, etc.

If this well known observation were universally adopted, then there could be a simple way of relating logics and language semantics,  alot more easily than MOF, for example.

But I also believe that empirical studies in psycholinguistics and
neuroscience are important for determining how symbols in general
and language in particular are related to human psychology.

For example, "the magic number seven plus or minus two."

In any case, practical experience in computer science and systems
is still the most important basis for developing practical systems.

John

William Frank

413/376-8167