Re: [ontolog-forum] doing standards [was - Re: Webby objects]

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andries van Renssen" <andries.vanrenssen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:24:40 +0100
Doug,    (01)

[AvR] The constraint that an ontology term should have only one meaning is a
constraint that is not valid for all ontologies. You
may create a particular ontology with such a constraint. But ontologies that do
not apply that constraint can still be valid and
high quality ontologies, provided they apply another method to distinguish
homonyms.    (02)

> Computer programs do not operate using NL terms -- although COBOL tried to
>look a little bit like it
> did.
>
> > Creating a separate Ontologies language that only maps to NL terms
> > unnecessarily isolates the ontology world from the application world.
>
> What computer applications do you know of which internally operate using NL
>terms?

[AvR] You seem to discuss programming languages, whereas we talk about data, as
terms for concepts.
Databases are full of NL terms and databases for knowledge are full of NL terms
for concepts.    (03)