Re: [ontolog-forum] doing standards [was - Re: Webby objects]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:33:28 +0000

Actually, if you look at SKOS, it was intended to represent (structured) vocabularies which could then easily be mapped to ontologies.

The simple way people use SKOS is to import SKOS and then use skos:altLabel for synonyms for the ontology concept name represented in OWL/RDF.

A gensymed name for an ontology class is simply a URI without any human words! I suggest you have a canonical name (it’s just a label) for an ontology concept, but use vocabularies to map to that name, because in fact ontologists (at least most of them so far) are humans using human  language, and “x23892” is not as good as “Person”.

The non-ontologists will be confused, of course, but they currently confuse terms with concepts, and think that they don’t need semantics because their column name or XML Schema entity is labeled Person, and of course everyone knows what that means. I.e., they don’t understand semantics, let alone ontology. Constructs in structural models such as relational databases, XML schemas, UML models are vocabularies.

In addition, it gets even more complicated, i.e., the vocabulary/ontology issue, in that many times other vocabularies need to be captured, i.e., a purchaser of some type (a technical purchaser) refers to a product as X, whereas a purchaser of another type (a non-technical purchasing agent) refers to it as Y, and a customer may similarly have different types (technical, non-technical), say for engineering products. So really what you need is a vocabulary, a context of use, and the ontology.

At VerticalNet (business-to-business e-commerce) in 2000 we had this issue, but never resolved it before we went out of business. Domain sales directors would see ontology class labels and say “that’s not right, we don’t use that term”, mistaking vocabulary for concept. EVERY application indeed uses (or could) its own vocabulary, depending on the nature of the application and its interface. So we distinguished “presentation” from “representation”. Presentation varies radically, but representation less so (you do have to capture the filagrees of meaning in your ontologies, but how you refer to those “nodes” is relatively independent).

Thanks,

Leo