Re: [ontolog-forum] doing standards [was - Re: Webby objects]

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andries van Renssen" <andries.vanrenssen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:29:56 +0100

Leo, Doug, Amanda,

Separating NL vocabularies from Ontology terms is one option, but IMHO not the best one.

Creating a separate Ontologies language that only maps to NL terms unnecessarily isolates the ontology world from the application world.

There are solutions to solve synonym and homonym management and use without such a separation.

Andries

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, November 22, 2012 16:59, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Sure, Amanda, and that's why I (and we) advocate using natural
> language vocabularies that are linked/mapped to ontologies.

If you are referring to advocating the separation of NL vocabularies from
ontology term names, we certainly agree.  The ontology needs to express
an N-N mapping between NL terms and ontology terms.