Re: [ontolog-forum] doing standards [was - Re: Webby objects]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Hassan Aït-Kaci" <hassanaitkaci@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:27:33 -0800
Hello,    (01)

All this discussion on meaningful vs. meaningless labels in an
ontologies brought back to me the memory of a paper I wrote back in 1982
[!] while a grad student at Penn describing an experiment on what sense
a human user is able to make out of an ontology using English labels as
opposed to to dummy labels.    (02)

What I used then to represent the ontology was Ron Brachman's KL-One and
the domain was the description of a Production-Distribution-Inventory
optimization system. Subjects (all unfamiliar with the domain) were
asked to answer questions regarding the ontology (half of the experiment
subjects were presented with meaningfully named nodes, and half with
dummy-labeled nodes).    (03)

The conclusion of the experiment was, to quote part of my paper's
conclusion, that "when entities bear English names, natural language
productions are more compact, more "natural", and syntactically more
elegant." Descriptions given by the subjects seeing only dummy-labels
were verbose, and tended to carry no clear meaning, even with a clearly
detailed ontological structure.    (04)

Here's the paper:
http://www.hassan-ait-kaci.net/pdf/Describing-Knowledge-from-Semantic-Networks.pdf    (05)

Cheers,    (06)