Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:53:03 +0100
Hi John,    (01)

A couple of points.    (02)

You mentioned that "ANW considered processes to be more fundamental than
objects." I was at a conference on Causal Powers in Ancient Medicine where
Geoffrey Lloyd made the point that Ancient Chinese thought in terms of
processes whereas some major figures in Ancient Greco-Roman philosophy (i.e.
not all) thought in terms of substances. In the 16th century when the
Jesuits made it to the Chinese Emperor's court and were trying to understand
Chinese philosophy, they tried to translate it's five phases (processes)
into the Ancient Greco-Roman four substances. Anyway, the point is that
thinking in terms of substance might be part of our Greco-Roman heritage,
rather than a feature of reality - supporting ANW's point.    (03)

Secondly, while Barry might be flattered to be considered the author of the
dyadic approach to mereology - a better history is that this has been the
standard approach since the pre-Socratics - see
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mereology/. As noted there, in the 20th
century  we can look to Leśniewski's Foundations of a General Theory of
Manifolds (1916, in Polish), Leonard and Goodman's The Calculus of
Individuals (1940) and Barry's colleague Peter Simons Parts. A Study in
Ontology (1987). It might be useful to point to formalisations of part-whole
using Peirce's triadic relations to counter-balance the weight of history.    (04)

Chris    (05)