Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:56:55 -0500

On Sep 27, 2012, at 4:32 PM, doug foxvog wrote:    (01)

> On Thu, September 27, 2012 06:21, William Frank wrote:

>>> I would consider this philosophical game playing.  I'm guessing that RM
>>> is discussing a person as a "soul", a "life force" or event. I'm not
>>> sure if he considers a person not to be an animal,
>>> or an animal not to have a body as a part.
>
>> If a body is a *part* of an animal, what is the other part???
>
> Note that i am responding to the RM quote that says that "a person’s body
> is not a part of that person in the relevant sense."  His statement was
> part of an argument based on the transitivity of parthood:
>  * A brain is part of a body;
>  * A part of a body would be part of a person IFF the body were part of
>    the person;    (02)

IF, but surely not IFF. (if (Part X Y)(Part X Z)) does not imply (Part Y Z)    (03)

>  * A body is not part of a person;
>  * Ergo, a brain is not part of a person.
>
> Note that in many systems, parthood is reflexive.  I mentioned that
> elsewhere.  If we accept this reflexive meaning of parthood, there
> need not be any other part.  The whole is the maximal part of an
> object under this meaning of parthood.
>
> But back to your question: "what is the other part?"
>
> The body would be THE physical part of the animal.  A non-physical part
> of the animal would be its "life force" -- or whatever you want to call it.
> When the animal dies, its "life force" ceases to exist, although its body
> may still exist.
>
> With such a model you can say that the animal ceases to exist when it
> dies, even if the physical part of the animal -- its body -- continues to
> exist.    (04)

Take a simpler example. In Lac Leman, near Geneva, there is a wonderful
fountain called the Jet d'Eau. It is simply a powerful jet of water fired
vertically up into the air from the surface of the lake. It resembles a
vertical column of water. Once I was watching it when the pump was turned off.
The column of water did not get shorter: it simply hung in the air for a
moment, then drifted sideways and dissolved into mist. Now, I think it is quite
reasonable to say that at the moment the pump switched off, the *fountain*
ceased to exist, and became simply some water in the air. What made it a
fountain was both the water and the momentum of the water, provided by the
action of the pump. We can argue for ever, and IMO quite unproductively, about
whether the momentum is "part" of the fountain or not, but it is certainly
something real (it can be measured, for example) which is closely and
inherently involved in the fountain's existence *as a fountain*. The world is
not just made of lumps of stuff occupying space: it is also comprised of energy
fields, momentums, pressures, movements and all the other dynamic processes
which animate the stuff in the space. Whether we call them "parts" or not, they
certainly exist, and certainly play a necessary role in how we conceptualize
reality.     (05)

OK, now someone mention Whitehead.    (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)