Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:43:32 -0400
On Thu, September 27, 2012 09:41, John F Sowa wrote:
> Doug, William, and Leo,
>
> Rom Harré
>> the brain is not a part of a person in the way that a grain of sand
>> is part of a beach. It is part of a person’s body and a person’s body
>> is not a part of that person in the relevant sense.
>
> DF
>> I would consider this philosophical game playing.  I'm guessing that
>> RH is discussing a person as a "soul", a "life force" or event.    (01)

> No.  He is treating a person as a living human being, all of whose
> parts are working together in every action.    (02)

But he is claiming "a person’s body is not a part of that person
in the relevant sense."    (03)

This depends upon what he means by "the relevant sense".  A body's
(or a brain's) relation to a person is not similar to that of a grain of sand
to a beach, no.  If that's all he means, fine.    (04)

A person doesn't have billions of bodies or billions of brains, so the
analogy is quite weird.  He could as easily used heart or neck as brain
in his analogy.    (05)

-- doug    (06)