Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:41:55 +0300
Hi,    (01)

discrete mereology is the simplest flat collection theory. I inform
the list of a new article by Rom Harré: Behind the mereological
fallacy. Philosophy, 87(341):329–352, 2012.    (02)

According to Harre p351-2 mereology’s lack of the ability to model
contexts has led to mereological fallacies, where contexts are
confusingly mixed:
“the brain is not a part of a person in the way that a grain of sand
is part of a beach. It is part of a person’s body and a person’s body
is not a part of that person in the relevant sense.” In contrast, when
a granular theory is used as a foundation of ‘part’, this
automatically makes the user to think more
carefully about the context under which the term ‘part’ is used: some
parts are flat, some are granular.    (03)

Granular theories of course do not solve all problems, but they are an
advancement.    (04)

-Avril    (05)

Quoting "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:    (06)

Avril Styrman