Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rich Cooper <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:12:24 +0300
Hi,    (01)

in this paper
http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/BittnerSmithDonnelly.pdf    (02)

they made a quite complex formalization of granularity with at least
four part-whole connectives and types and labels. I'm not saying that
all those won't find a mapping when granularity is programmed in
applications, but as an introduction of granularity, that paper is
quite complex. After all, they apply their formalism on collections
such as:    (03)

    Fred's body={upper body, lower body}
    upper body={left arm, right arm, ...,x}
    lower body={left leg, right leg, ...,y}    (04)

A finite model of ZFU or KPU suffices for those. And there are only
two part-whole connectives: member and subset.    (05)

Avril    (06)

Quoting "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>:    (07)

Avril Styrman
+358 40 7000 589    (09)