Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rich Cooper <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:53:15 +0000
That's why I mentioned mereotopology. It's just one more tool. And there are
indeed theories of granular partitions:
    (01)

Bittner, Thomas; Barry Smith. 2001. A unified theory of granularity, vagueness
and approximation. In: Proc. of the 1st Workshop on Spatial Vagueness,
Uncertainty, and Granularity (SVUG01).
http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~bittner/BittnerSmithSVUG01.pdf.
    (02)

Bittner, Thomas; Barry Smith; Maureen Donnelly. 2007. The Logic of Systems of
Granular Partitions.  Manuscript.
http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/BittnerSmithDonnelly.pdf.
    (03)

Bittner, Thomas, and Barry Smith. 2003. A Theory of Granular Partitions.  In:
Foundations of Geographic Information Science,  M. Duckham, M. F. Goodchild and
M. F. Worboys, eds., London: Taylor & Francis Books, 2003, 117-151.
    (04)

Thanks,
Leo
    (05)

>>> pp. 93-108, DOI 10.3233/AO-2012-0103, IOS Press.

>> I haven't had a chance to read that paper.  But I

>> objected to the

>> distinction of fiat vs. natural boundaries as soon

>> as it was published.

>> In physics, everything is continuous.   Some

>> gradients are sharper

>> than others, but nothing in nature has a clearly

>> defined or definable

>> 0-thickness boundary.

>> Just consider the human body. The boundary changes

>> every time somebody

>> gets a hair cut, clips fingernails, takes a bath,

>> puts on make-up,

>> removes contact lenses, or sheds a few skin cells.

>> For legal purposes,

>> even clothing is considered within the body's

>> boundary.

>> If you admit clothing, you have to ask about the

>> difference between

>> a wallet in somebody's pocket vs. a purse carried

>> outside the boundary

>> of the clothing.  What about a necklace that might

>> be partly under

>> the clothing and partly outside?   What about a

>> backpack?  If you admit

>> a backpack, what about a suitcase that somebody is

>> carrying.  If you

>> admit that, what about a cane? Crutches?  A

>> walker?  A wheelchair?

>> A seeing-eye dog?

>> The fundamental principle is that there is a

>> reason for every

>> distinction.  Those reasons are fundamental to

>> ontology.  Mereology

>> is useful.  But the hope that it might provide

>> "objective" criteria

>> for ontology is a fantasy -- an extremely

>> *misleading* fantasy.

>> John

>> _______________

>> Message Archives: