Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:25:29 +0000
Sorry, John, I think that the best theories can provide the best descriptions
of reality. Theories: mathematical, scientific, ontological, etc.     (01)

I'm not ready to throw up my hands and say that anything goes. The best things
go. The best theories. Until better theories come along. I'm not a relativist
nor a subjectivist nor a nihilist.     (02)

I accept a coerced teleological argument (your "reason for every distinction")
because I think that reality adapts to reality.     (03)

I'm reminded of the interview with Urs Schreiber in this month's Reasoner:
http://uk.sitestat.com/kent/kent-int/s?secl.philosophy.jw.TheReasoner.vol6.TheReasoner-6(9)-pdf&ns_type=pdf&ns_url=http://www.kent.ac.uk/secl/philosophy/jw/TheReasoner/vol6/TheReasoner-6(9).pdf.
  This gets at the proverbial "unreasonable effectiveness
of mathematics in the natural sciences" (quoting from it below):    (04)

"But there is an even deeper "unreasonable effectiveness" at work here: for
among all possible theories of physics that one can write down (technically:
among all local Lagrangians on jet spaces), those that govern our world-such as
Einstein's gravity, the standard model of particle physics based on Yang-Mills
theory, as well as various auxiliary Chern-Simons-type theories that these are
closely related to-are very special. There seems to be a "theory of theories"
which singles them out as the theories observed in nature."
"So what particle phyicists value as the most precious general guiding
principle of the fundamental structure of the physical world is at the same
time a hallmark of higher category theory."     (05)

I.e., homotopy type theory.     (06)

So I think logical ontology is on the right track.     (07)

Thanks,
Leo    (08)