Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:41:14 -0400
On Thu, September 6, 2012 16:39, Andries van Renssen wrote:    (01)

> Why is a school district not physical? In my view it is a physical area on
> earth with an (unspecified) height and depth.    (02)

In that case, a school district would have a mass.  A rock and a clump of
dirt would be part of the school district.  If i dig to plant a bush in my
yard,
i am making a hole in the school district.    (03)

School districts, in my experience, are defined by boundaries -- and thus
are spatial regions -- they are not defined by mass of certain sorts that
happens to be within those boundaries.    (04)

> Physical object (and spatial objects) cannot be located in themselves,    (05)

This depends upon the definition of "located in".  In some systems,
a "located in" predicate is reflexive.    (06)

> but they all can be in (several) locator as well as in located roles,
although
> always in different (individual) relations.    (07)

I presume you mean relation statements or "relation instances".    (08)

> I am interested in your subtypes of the <being location in> kind of
> relation.    (09)

Some OpenCyc subtypes of <located in> are:
   aboardTransporter   alignedCylinderWithin   anchorPointInLineSegment
   artifactFoundInLocation   basinOfBodyOfWater   carriedIn
   cavityInteriorRegionOf   cellularNetworkCoversRegion
   completeOuterLayer   connected-SheetTransectsAlong
   connectedAlongInside   connectedToInside   contentOfFreeSpace
   cospatial   countryOfAddress   countyInState   countyOfAddress
   curveOnSurface   damsStream   ellipsoidalSection
   embeddedCylinderInSheet   endPointOfLineSegment   equatorOfSpheroid
   equipmentOfFacility   eventOccursAt   exactlyLocatedAt-Spatial
   exposureToHarmfulSubstanceOccursAt   genericPathway-Complete
   genericPathway-Exact   greatCircleOfSphere   greatEllipseOfEllipsoid
   greatEllipseOfSpheroid   groupMembersFoundInLocation
   groupResidesInRegion   groundsOfBuilding  hotelInRegion   in-Among
   in-ContClosed   in-ContCompletely   in-ContFullOf   in-ContGeneric
   in-ContOpen   in-Held   in-ImmersedFully   in-Permeates   in-Rooted
   in-Snugly   inRegion   inRegion-Underspecified   infectingOccursAt
   infoPathway-Complete   infoPathway-Exact   innervates
   linesInside-Skinlike   localeOfElection   localityOfObject
   locusOfCellularProcess-Cell   locusOfCellularProcess-CellPart
   lowestPointInRegion   minimumEnvelopeForGeometry
   motionPathway-Complete   motionPathway-Exact   objectFoundInLocation
   outerLayer   packagedIn   parallelOfSpheroid   pathInsideRegion
   pluggedInto   pointOfSale   portalPassedThrough   processRunningOn
   protrudesInto   residenceOfOrganization   salesTerritoryOfAddress
   screwedIn   situationLocation   smallCircleOfSphere   spans-Bridgelike
   sphericSection   spheroidalSection   startPointOfLineSegment   sticksInto
   sticksInto-2D   streetSystemOfArea   structureInUrbanArea
   suspendedIntaskInsAreaOfOperations   teamRepresentsPolity
   terminalPointOfLineSegment   tourIsOfRegion   trajectory-Complete
   vertexOfGeometricallyDescribableThing   vertexOfLineString
   vertexOfPolygon   vertexOfPolyhedron   waterOfBodyOfWater
   whollyLocatedAt-Spatial   worksFoundInStructure
In contexts in which a GeopoliticalEntity is considered to be a
GeographicalRegion as well as an Organization more specializations
are available:
   cityInState   eventOccursInCountry  hotelInCity   majorCityInState
   metropolitanAreaOf   placeInCity   stateOfAddress   territoryOf    (010)

> The kind of relation <classification of an individual thing by a kind of
> thing> is semantically different from the kind of relation <classification
> of a kind of thing by a meta kind of thing> as the role players are
> different.    (011)

In that each has different restrictions on argument types, yes.    (012)

> In the example, the relation <is classified as a> is a phrase for the
> first kind of relation.    (013)

OK.  That was not clear in the text that Kingsley presented.    (014)

> Furthermore, the statement is that all individual things 'shall be'
> classified, whereas that is not required for kinds of things.    (015)

This is a rule in your system.  Kingsley asked "what is not to like" about
this text snippet.  The lack of requirement that kinds of things need not
be classified is something that falls in this category since the lack
of classification limits the type of reasoning that can be performed.    (016)

> Kinds of
> things shall not necessarily be classified, but 'shall be' generalized, by
> being defined as subtypes of their supertype(s).    (017)

Another rule in your system.    (018)

> Therefore, the term 'individual' is an important semantic distinction.    (019)

Certainly.    (020)

> If we eliminate it the semantic precision would be lost.    (021)

As a description of your system, yes.    (022)

You are referring to your statement:
>> > This results in a universal basic semantic data structure for the
>> > expression of facts about individual things."    (023)

So the point is that your system provides a structure for expressing
facts about individual things, but it does not necessarily provide a
structure for expression of facts about kinds of things.    (024)

By eliminating the restriction to facts about individual things,
more can be expressed.  In responding to Kingsley's question,
i was stating that i would like the more inclusive definitions
of data structures better.    (025)

You also stated:    (026)

>> > * Each individual thing is classified by a kind of thing,
>> > because the meaning of a relation between individual things
>> > can only be interpreted correctly when
>> > each related individual thing is classified, as well
>> > as the roles they play and the relation they have.    (027)

I wanted to generalize this to apply to relations among kinds of
things or between individual things and kinds of things.  Your
semantic distinction means that you are not describing these
other types of relations.    (028)

-- doug foxvog    (029)