Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andries van Renssen" <andries.vanrenssen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:53:16 +0200
Doug,    (01)

[AvR] I agree that a (school) district is defined by its boundary. But the
piece of land that is defined by that boundary is nevertheless a physical
object, and it has a mass, although its value is unknown and not of
interest.
I think that the concept 'school district' is a subtype of role, and not a
subtype of physical object. But the role player is a physical object.
Because for a particular piece of land D that has a role that is classified
as a school district, it holds that D is a physical object, because 'piece
of land' is a subtype of physical object.
Thus both are true:
* D <has a role as a> school district
and
* D <is classified as a> piece of land (i.e. a physical object)
The expression 'a school district is a physical object' is a short-cut for
the extended expression 'a school district D is a physical object with a
role as school district'.
The expression 'D <is a> school dictrict' is a synonyms of 'D <has a role as
a> school district'. I call this a 'classification by role', which can also
be expressed as 'D <is classified by role as a> school district. Those three
expressions are equivalent.
The reason why the expression 'I dig a hole in the school district' sounds
odd is: because that expression is a short-cut for 'I dig a hole in the land
that has a role as school district'.    (02)

You defined the concept 'spatial region' and Henk defined the concept
'conceptual reality' as concepts that are by definition non-physical.
My impression is that if you would apply the concept 'role' (of a physical
object), then the role player can still be a physical object, although the
kind of role is a subtype of role and not a subtype of physical object.    (03)

> > Physical object (and spatial objects) cannot be located in
> themselves,
>
> This depends upon the definition of "located in".  In some systems,
> a "located in" predicate is reflexive.
[AvR] Are those predicates reflexive in order to solve a theoretical
position or is it true that physical objects (including also spatial
objects) cannot be located in themselves? Can you give an example a spatial
object that is located in itself?    (04)

> > but they all can be in (several) locator as well as in located roles,
> although
> > always in different (individual) relations.
>
> I presume you mean relation statements or "relation instances".
[AvR] Yes, as expressions of different facts.

> > I am interested in your subtypes of the <being location in> kind of
> > relation.
>
> Some OpenCyc subtypes of <located in> are:
>    aboardTransporter   alignedCylinderWithin   anchorPointInLineSegment
>    artifactFoundInLocation   basinOfBodyOfWater   carriedIn
>    cavityInteriorRegionOf   cellularNetworkCoversRegion
>    completeOuterLayer   connected-SheetTransectsAlong
>    connectedAlongInside   connectedToInside   contentOfFreeSpace
>    cospatial   countryOfAddress   countyInState   countyOfAddress
>    curveOnSurface   damsStream   ellipsoidalSection
>    embeddedCylinderInSheet   endPointOfLineSegment   equatorOfSpheroid
>    equipmentOfFacility   eventOccursAt   exactlyLocatedAt-Spatial
>    exposureToHarmfulSubstanceOccursAt   genericPathway-Complete
>    genericPathway-Exact   greatCircleOfSphere   greatEllipseOfEllipsoid
>    greatEllipseOfSpheroid   groupMembersFoundInLocation
>    groupResidesInRegion   groundsOfBuilding  hotelInRegion   in-Among
>    in-ContClosed   in-ContCompletely   in-ContFullOf   in-ContGeneric
>    in-ContOpen   in-Held   in-ImmersedFully   in-Permeates   in-Rooted
>    in-Snugly   inRegion   inRegion-Underspecified   infectingOccursAt
>    infoPathway-Complete   infoPathway-Exact   innervates
>    linesInside-Skinlike   localeOfElection   localityOfObject
>    locusOfCellularProcess-Cell   locusOfCellularProcess-CellPart
>    lowestPointInRegion   minimumEnvelopeForGeometry
>    motionPathway-Complete   motionPathway-Exact   objectFoundInLocation
>    outerLayer   packagedIn   parallelOfSpheroid   pathInsideRegion
>    pluggedInto   pointOfSale   portalPassedThrough   processRunningOn
>    protrudesInto   residenceOfOrganization   salesTerritoryOfAddress
>    screwedIn   situationLocation   smallCircleOfSphere   spans-
> Bridgelike
>    sphericSection   spheroidalSection   startPointOfLineSegment
> sticksInto
>    sticksInto-2D   streetSystemOfArea   structureInUrbanArea
>    suspendedIntaskInsAreaOfOperations   teamRepresentsPolity
>    terminalPointOfLineSegment   tourIsOfRegion   trajectory-Complete
>    vertexOfGeometricallyDescribableThing   vertexOfLineString
>    vertexOfPolygon   vertexOfPolyhedron   waterOfBodyOfWater
>    whollyLocatedAt-Spatial   worksFoundInStructure
> In contexts in which a GeopoliticalEntity is considered to be a
> GeographicalRegion as well as an Organization more specializations
> are available:
>    cityInState   eventOccursInCountry  hotelInCity   majorCityInState
>    metropolitanAreaOf   placeInCity   stateOfAddress   territoryOf

[AvR] This seems to be an impressive list of subtypes. I will study them in
more detail, because my question is whether they are kinds of relations that
are required or valuable for a formal language as a definition of a rich
semantic expression capability.
Another question is whether they are all true subtypes of <being located
in>, thus whether the taxonomy is pure. Do you also have subtypes of <being
connected to> and <being a boundary of> and <occurring in>?    (05)

At first glance there are a number of the above kinds of relations that seem
to be overloaded with information about their role players.
For example:
* InRegion
* hotelInRegion
* hotelInCity
* placeInCity
* cityInState
* majorCityInState
Why only these and why not many, many more similar ones?
And why is e.g. hotelInRegion not a subtype of InRegion?
But why do you think these add semantic expression power to just <is located
in>?
For example, hotelInCity. This appear to be a subtypes that has a constraint
on its roles that the located role shall be played by a hotel and the
locator role shall be played by a city.
What is the additional semantics of 'Hilton hotel A <hotelInCity> New York'
above 'Hilton hotel A <locatedIn> New York'?
when Hilton hotel A <is classified as a> hotel and New York <is classified
as a> city. What is the reason to duplicate or replace these classifications
by (the definition of) the kind of relation?
It is an implied classification that may even conflict with an explicit
classification.     (06)

> > The kind of relation <classification of an individual thing by a kind
> of
> > thing> is semantically different from the kind of relation
> <classification
> > of a kind of thing by a meta kind of thing> as the role players are
> > different.
>
> In that each has different restrictions on argument types, yes.
>
> > In the example, the relation <is classified as a> is a phrase for the
> > first kind of relation.
>
> OK.  That was not clear in the text that Kingsley presented.
>
> > Furthermore, the statement is that all individual things 'shall be'
> > classified, whereas that is not required for kinds of things.
>
> This is a rule in your system.  Kingsley asked "what is not to like"
> about
> this text snippet.  The lack of requirement that kinds of things need
> not
> be classified is something that falls in this category since the lack
> of classification limits the type of reasoning that can be performed.
[AvR] The statement that "all individual things 'shall be' classified" is
indeed a rule. Semantically it is not a necessity in Formal English, because
expressions can be interpreted without it. However, I think it is a valuable
rule, because it adds possibilities for verification of the correctness
(consistency) of expressions. Therefore, the rule is intended as a (strong)
recommendation.
For kinds of things there is another rule that makes their explicit
classification superfluous. That is the rules that their definition shall
include the specification of the supertype concept(s). As the highest
supertype is classified as being a kind of thing, all subtypes inherit that
'classification of class'.
Thus there is no limitation on the type of reasoning.    (07)

> > Kinds of
> > things shall not necessarily be classified, but 'shall be'
> generalized, by
> > being defined as subtypes of their supertype(s).
>
> Another rule in your system.
[AvR] The question is not whether it is in 'my system'. The question is
whether it is a valuable rule in a kind of Formal English.
In my semantic theory kinds of things are defined by their supertype kinds
of things and the specification of the mutual distinctions between the
subtypes. This rule only states that that should be made explicit. If
obeyed, the rule enables additional verification of the correctness of
expressions and provides knowledge and possible requirements by inheritance.
Therefore, it is a strongly recommended rule. My recommendation is that
parsers should give warnings if the rule is not obeyed, but correct
interpretation is still possible.
Thus: why not?    (08)

> > Therefore, the term 'individual' is an important semantic
> distinction.
>
> Certainly.
>
> > If we eliminate it the semantic precision would be lost.
>
> As a description of your system, yes.
>
> You are referring to your statement:
>
> So the point is that your system provides a structure for expressing
> facts about individual things, but it does not necessarily provide a
> structure for expression of facts about kinds of things.
>
> By eliminating the restriction to facts about individual things,
> more can be expressed.  In responding to Kingsley's question,
> i was stating that i would like the more inclusive definitions
> of data structures better.
[AvR] This is a misunderstanding. I clarified that there is a "universal
basic semantic data structure for the expression of facts about individual
things" NEXT TO a similar "universal basic semantic data structure for the
expression of facts about kinds of things".
Those data structures differ, because there are semantic differences
applicable for the interpretation of the relations.
More inclusive definitions would eliminate those semantic differences, as
was illustrated by the distinction between the semantics of 'classification
of individual thing' and 'classification of kind of thing'.

> You also stated:

> I wanted to generalize this to apply to relations among kinds of
> things or between individual things and kinds of things.  Your
> semantic distinction means that you are not describing these
> other types of relations.
[AvR] You are too fast and should read a bit more. I discussed the relations
between kinds of things (and the relations between individual things and
kinds of things) separately. That is on purpose, because of the semantic
differences.
More general statements may be fine, but the more specific statements are
required for a precise semantic expression capability.    (09)

-- Andries