Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "David C. Hay" <dch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:03:31 -0500
Doug,

You made my day!

My first draft of this model was published as Data Model Patterns: Conventions of Thought in 1995.  It was derived entirely from my experience on projects, trying to model the things I encountered. When Cyc came along, I was intrigued and impressed by their ambitions, but I found the documentation (that I could get for free) somewhat intimidating.  The whole point of the way I do models is that they must be understood by non-technical business people who have no prior experience with modeling (or Greek philosophy).  So clarity is kind of important.

From what you said, "GeographicalThing and SurfaceRegion-Tangible" does sound suspiciously like my Geographic Location.  Mine is a lot easier to present to business people.

In my last pass at this, published in 2011 as Enterprise Model Patterns: Describing the World, I was being a bit more ambitious, now that I knew there was something called an "upper level ontology".  But I didn't look to Cyc.  I looked to logic and the projects I've had to deal with over the last twenty years.  >From the way you describe Cyc, I am rather pleased with myself.  We seem to have come to much the same conclusions.

In the example, I did make the assumption that a boundary was an abstraction.  The boundaries of a piece of real estate are lines, positioned by the geographic points.  These points may be defined in terms of any of several geographic schemes.  The most common are what I call simply "geographic" (latitude, longitude, elevation) and Cartesian (x, y, and reference point (which itself has to be located somewhere)).

Any earth, oil, or other physical materials are in the category of Physical Asset.  Yes, these resources are located in terms of the geography we are discussing.

And doing the geography of mountains sounds  lot like Geographic Solids.

By the way, in the later book, I actually address the problem of describing the world in multiple levels of abstraction.

Level 1 is the basic generic model of the world, much derived from my first book.  Here, my basic categories are:

        - People and Organizations
        - Geographic Locations
        - Physical Assets
        - Activities and Events
        - Time

As you can imagine, the first four of these are very similar, so the Level 0 of abstraction is a template for those:  Thing, Thing Type, Thing Relationship, etc.

Modeling time, as is I'm sure the case in Cyc, a special situation.

Also at level 0, because I didn't know what else to do with them, are two "meta" data models:  Accounting, since that is itself a model of the business, albeit in different terms than a data model; and Information Resources (e.g. Documents, Books, etc.) , which in one sense (at least use to be) about physical resources, but each of these is significant because it is about something else in the business model.

Level 2 gets a bit more concrete, assembling the Level 1 elements into models of business functions, like contracts, facilities management (the facilities/addresses/sites I talked about before), marketing and communications, etc.

Level 3 consists of examples of real business situations that cannot be addressed by the more generic structures.  This includes microbiology, banking and finance, highway design, etc.  In each case, I assume that most of the requirements of an enterprise can be covered by the level 0-2 models.  But there is something that calls for special attention.

Doug, I am gratified to read that apparently my level 0 and 1 models aren't terribly different from what the Cyc people came up with.  Yes, I did it myself, unconstrained by history, but I was more fun that way.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

At 12:34 PM 9/26/2012, you wrote:
On Wed, September 26, 2012 11:14, David C. Hay wrote:
> In my model of the world (dare I say "upper level ontology"),
> Enterprise Model Patterns: Describing the World, I have put a lot of
> thought into the distinctions you describe here.

When was this model created?  Cyc had all of these concepts by 1998,
if not by 1996 -- other than the "Other X" concepts.  (IP address was
created in 1999).  Cyc made the distinction of treating geopolitical
entities from geographical regions in 1998.  One could use a context
in which the geopolitical entity was an agent, or one in which it was
also a piece of land.  This ontology fragment has it as a piece of land.

The #$comment for #$GeographicalRegion reads:
'A specialization of GeographicalThing and SurfaceRegion-Tangible. Each
instance of GeographicalRegion is a tangible spatial region that includes
some piece of the surface of a planet (usually PlanetEarth), and may be
represented on a map of the planet. This includes purely topographical
regions like mountains and underwater spaces, places defined by
demographics (e.g. language areas) and territory otherwise demarcated
(e.g. TimeZones). In "dualist" geopolitical contexts (see
DualistGeopoliticalMt), instances of GeopoliticalEntity are also
considered to be instances of GeographicalRegion.

In all cases the region in question must contain some tangible component
with which it is possible to make physical contact. The instances of
GeographicalRegion contrast in this respect with the instances of
GeographicalThing-Intangible, which are wholly intangible.

Examples of GeographicalRegion include RockyMountainStates-USRegion, the
ContinentOfAustralia, SinaiPeninsula, and -- in "dualist" geopolitical
contexts -- YaleUniversity and CityOfPittsburghPA. Some important types of
regions are represented by the sub-collections LanguageArea, TimeZone,
PostalCodeRegion, EcologicalRegion, ConstructionSite, and -- in "dualist"
geopolitical contexts -- GeopoliticalEntity. No instances of
GeographicalRegion are wholly indoor locations.'

I urge people who want to develop ontologies of common things to
first check what OpenCyc has.  It can save a lot of reinventing of
complex wheels.  Cyc is certainly far from perfect and has huge
holes, but with hundreds of staff years being put into a publicly
available ontology, many parts of which are very carefully considered,
it can be used to speed up such ontology development projects.

One can save staff months or years by examining what has already
been done in your field.

-- doug foxvog