Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andries van Renssen" <andries.vanrenssen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:44:12 +0200
John,    (01)

[AvR] I hesitate about the mass of a physical space, and whether the gas in
a space is part of the space or just occupies the space. But if the space is
not empty, the mass may be of interest such as in the interior of a balloon
and a submarine.
Design of buildings usually starts with the design of spaces (rooms etc.),
then the walls are added. I consider the spaces to be components of the
building (not as an assembly, but as a component).    (03)

I question whether a physical area is by definition two dimensional.
Mathematical area's are two dimensional. But two dimensional area's in
physical reality seem to be abstractions. They are at least curved in the
third dimension. But more important: if you walk on them, they compress
under pressure and they provide an upward force on you. If you buy them then
you also possess a mass with volume below and a space above it, although
constrained nowadays by government rules. Although they are typically
defined in two dimensions only, their third dimension is recognized and
constrained by government rules (as you describe below).    (04)

This is related to the concept of 'surface'. A surface can have a roughness,
a color, a hardness, a temperature, a strength, etc. I think that it can't
have such properties when it would be only two dimensional. We are probably
influenced by the abstract mathematical concept of dimensions.
In practical physics, every physical point has a size that is non zero,
although nearly infinitesimal.    (05)

> By fiat, the governments of countries lay claim to the mineral
> rights beneath their areas.  In principle, they could claim rights
> down to the center of the earth.  But in practice, the technology
> can only mine a few km. beneath the surface.
>
> When air travel became possible, national governments laid claim
> to the air space above them, but smaller governments did not.
> But nobody laid claim to the regions above the atmosphere.
> Those are more distinctions by fiat.
>
> In summary, I recommend that any ontology for any subdivision
> of the earth should specify the surface area S and the intended
> role R for that area.
[AvR] In some cases (e.g. mines, reservoirs) the subdivision of the earth
requires an explicit third dimension.
And some, such as lakes and mountains, don't need a role.    (06)