Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:12:31 -0700

Avril Styrman wrote:

According to Harre p351-2 mereology?s lack of the ability to model

contexts has led to mereological fallacies, where contexts are

confusingly mixed:

?the brain is not a part of a person in the way that a grain of sand

is part of a beach. It is part of a person?s body and a person?s body

is not a part of that person in the relevant sense.? In contrast, when

a granular theory is used as a foundation of ?part?, this

automatically makes the user to think more

carefully about the context under which the term ?part? is used: some

parts are flat, some are granular.

Granular theories of course do not solve all problems, but they are an

advancement.

-Avril

There is presently a discussion of an analogy to Mereology in linguistic syntactic parses.  A similar situation is now being discussed on the Link Grammar Parser email list, which is maintained by Linas Veptas, who has been doing a terrific job on maintaining the Link Grammar Parser.

Linas wrote:

this is the fundamental idea behind dependency grammars (as opposed to the NP VP crapola that people seem to like so much, for ahem, inexplicable reasons) If you will notice: link-grammar is very distinctly NOT hierarchical !

The oldest thing I can think of is "Meaning-Text Theory", started in the 1960's in Soviet Russia, but didn't get to the West until the 1980's.  The link-grammar README file mentions it. I'm sort-of trying to move link-grammar so it goes back into the deeper directions (its part of what RelEx was all about).

So, again, my knee-jerk reaction is that these guys actually have an experiment that *measures* an actual effect in humans; which is good, in a sense, as otherwise one could accuse the linguists of "making stuff up out of thin air".  viz: linguists are really theorists, they need good experimental data to hold up their theories.

Interested ontologists might enjoy that list as well.  The list is at Link-Grammar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you want to subscribe.  The problem being addressed is the proper parse of “but” in a sentence which doesn’t parse well.  The discussion talks about “context” as being difficult to dissect from language.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

discrete mereology is the simplest flat collection theory. I inform

the list of a new article by Rom Harré: Behind the mereological

fallacy. Philosophy, 87(341):329?352, 2012.

--

Avril Styrman

+358 40 7000 589