Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 06:21:12 -0400

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, September 26, 2012 17:03, John F Sowa wrote:
> AS
>> Rom Harre:Behind the mereological
>> fallacy. Philosophy, 87(341):329–352, 2012.
>>
>> According to Harre p 351-2, mereology’s lack of the ability to model
>> contexts has led to mereological fallacies, where contexts are
>> confusingly mixed:
>
> RM
>> “the brain is not a part of a person in the way that a grain of sand
>> is part of a beach. It is part of a person’s body and a person’s body
>> is not a part of that person in the relevant sense.

I would consider this philosophical game playing.  I'm guessing that RM
is discussing a person as a "soul", a "life force" or event. I'm not sure
if he considers a person not to be an animal, or an animal not to have
a body as a part.

If a body is a *part* of an animal, what is the other part???  If you want to use "part" differently from English, in which language, a car is *not* a part of the car, nor is a beach a part of that same beach, that is fine, too.

*A physical animal that lives and has a body as its complete physical
part is a useful concept.

??? So, one part of an animal is its complete physical part, and there is some other part, that is not part of its complete physical part????

Also, to explore this ramble a bit, what in the world is philosophical game playing?  I guess it must not include statements like *, so, by contrast, maybe it is thinking and expressing oneself very carefully.  And, why are you guessing what else someone might believe (and I am guessing your guess is incorrect) and arguing about *that* in an email to this forum, as you do for some many more rambles?

-- doug foxvog

William Frank

413/376-8167