Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 01:05:52 -0400
On 9/26/2012 11:04 PM, William Frank wrote:

"Pat, my point is that when you describe something, you are ipso facto classifying it. That is just what a description does. It specifies the set of things that fit the description, even if that is a singleton."
I'm not sure I agree, it depends on what you mean by "describe". If you have an unknown and you enumerate its properties..."It is black"...it seems that you are in a position to create a list of candidates, but are not ready to classify it just yet.

Alternately, if you describe its base concept, then I would agree with you.

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA