Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 15:53:49 -0400
On Tue, September 4, 2012 12:44, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 9/4/12 12:13 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
>>> Because you already get it. What I mean by that comment is the fact
>>> that
>>> you already understand what RDF actually is.
>> I'm wondering if Kingsley gets Michael at this point.  Michael is
>> arguing
>> against "what RDF actually is".  Yet Kingsley goes back to a syntax
>> discussion.
>
> Please. I do know the difference between a model and syntax.
>
> RDF has a model distinct from syntaxes such as: RDF/XML, Turtle, N3,
> N-Triples, HTML5+MicroData, RDFa, TriX, TriG, NQuads etc..
>
> Things exist, they do so in quantities, and said things are denoted
> using a naming mechanism. Nothing exists on its own. Everything is
> in a relationship. The aforementioned relationships are endowed
> with Semantics.    (01)

Agreed..    (02)

> We just want to express the above in a form that human and machine
> comprehensible. Natural Language (imperfect as it is when written or
> spoken) has worked for humans. Never been so for machines, so we are
> trying to solve that problem.    (03)

Fine.    (04)

>>> Note point #3 reads:
>>> Provide useful information about the thing when its URI is
>>> dereferenced, using standard formats such as RDF/XML.    (06)

>>> Of course in reality, we have to decompose further and
>>> it should really mean:    (07)

>> "should" ???    (08)

>>> Useful information == structured data (entity-attribute-value
>>> or RDF model constrained)    (09)

>> Do you really think that only data using an RDF model is useful?  How
>> can you equate the two?    (010)

> I mean: utility comes from delivering value to a consumer.
> Thus, useful information to a human or machine has to be
> something they can comprehend.    (011)

We agree about humans.  I wouldn't yet claim that a machine
can "comprehend" information.  But i don't really think that
you are claiming that.  I interpret you to mean that the
machine has one or more methods for processing the data.    (012)

> Structured Data is useful.    (013)

Agreed.    (014)

> Data where Entity, Attribute, Attribute Values, and the semantics
> are the triad/triples    (015)

I see no need for a restriction to EAV.    (016)

> are discernible to humans and/or machines is extremely useful.    (017)

Having semantics discernible to humans and/or machines is extremely
useful.  Agreed.  But i would say that it is equally useful whether or not
the semantics are formatted as triples.    (018)

> Even more so, when it scales to the Web.    (019)

Agreed.    (020)

>> Here you say that the Linked Data description SHOULD be restricted to
>> the RDF model.  The Linked Data description is NOT so narrow.    (021)

> I said: its should be structured data. Data cannot be structured if it
> isn't constrained by some kind of model. You have to be able to discern
> (in the finest-grained mode possible) what constitutes the data in order
> for it to be useful.    (022)

Agreed.    (023)

>> This is what Michael is arguing against.  This seems like the RDF
>> zealotry that Kingsley was criticizing elsewhere.    (024)

>>> Formats: various, which means a variety of syntaxes and serialization
>>> formats for structured data.    (025)

>> Structure does NOT require RDF structure.    (026)

> Of course it doesn't. But there's no harm in structure making an Entity,
> its Attributes, Attribute Values, and Relationship    (027)

Isn't this the RDF structure?    (028)

> Semantics discernible to humans and/or machines.    (029)

Agreed that there is no harm in making EAV/RDF structures discernible.    (030)

I also claim that there is no harm in making n-tuple structures
discernible to humans and/or machines.    (031)

Do you find a harm in so doing?    (032)

-- doug f    (033)