Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:48:43 -0400
On 9/3/12 10:02 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 10:43:22AM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Let's start with RDF, what is it actually?
> [...]
>> Its about the entity-attribute-value model enhanced with explicit
>> semantics.
> OK.
>
>> Yes! They decided that it was beneficial to
>> conflate RDF and Linked Data, even though history provides ample
>> evidence for the folly inherent in such thinking and execution strategy.
> Aha. OK.
>
>> Linked Data is trying to achieve this goal. It isn't RDF syntax or
>> serialization specific. Its basically the entity-attribute-value model
>> enhanced with URIs and explicit semantics re. subject-predicate-object
>> or entity-attribute-value.
> You said that "RDF is about the entity-attribute-value model enhanced with
> explicit semantics" and that RDF should not be conflated with Linked Data and
> now you say that Linked Data "is basically the entity-attribute-value model
> enhanced with URIs and explicit semantics". I don't get it.    (01)

Because you already get it. What I mean by that comment is the fact that
you already understand what RDF actually is. There are many others that
have a gut reaction to RDF (for a myriad of reasons) and the net effect
is more about the letters R-D-F and less to do with what it stands for,
however imperfect its narratives have been in the past.    (02)

Bearing in mind the problem some have (instinctively) with the letters
R-D-F I attempt to plot an alternative route to the same destination by
showing that de-referencable URIs combined with entity-attribute-value
model constrained structured data representation is what Linked Data is
about.    (03)

There are more folks that understand what the entity-attribute-value
model is than there will ever be those that grok RDF (again: because for
some the errors of the past are simply fatal). Thus, bearing in mind
this reality, why not just crack on with the main destination (Linked
Data) however we get there. At the end of the day, without Linked Data
there's zilch re. Web scale structured data that's based on Web
Architecture DNA etc..    (04)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_data talks about "useful information using
> standard formats". This could be anything - for example 7-tuples with implicit
> semantics. I don't see why Linked Data should be about EAV and explicit
> semantics and what the difference to RDF would be.    (05)

Note point #3 reads:
Provide useful information about the thing when its URI is dereferenced,
using standard formats such as RDF/XML.    (06)

Of course in reality, we have to decompose further and it should really
mean:    (07)

Useful information == structured data (entity-attribute-value or RDF
model constrained)
Formats: various, which means a variety of syntaxes and serialization
formats for structured data.    (08)

Somehow, the above evolved into an odyssey or boundless proportions    (09)

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer
>    (010)

--     (011)